Why are we doing the things we do? Is it all for show? To draw attention to ourselves? Or is there a higher purpose to our life?
The Pharisees’ Hypocrisy | Is It All For Show?
“Everything they do is done for people to see:
- They make their phylacteries wide and the tassels on their garments long;
- They love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues;
- They love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and to be called ‘Rabbi’ by others.”
Matthew 23:5-7, New International Version, Reformatted for emphasis.
Jesus uses the Pharisees as an example of someone who acts to draw attention and feel important.
- They over exaggerated their piety.
- They relished people’s respect and honor.
- They loved the perks that came with it.
But the implication was and is:
It was all for their own glory. It was all for show.