6 For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Throughout scripture many names are attributed to God. Each of the names encountered, recognize specific attributes of God and proclaim His glory and power. Over the last several weeks, we have taken a very brief glimpse at a few of those names, but have barely scratched the surface. Here’s a brief recap of the Hebrew names, that have been discussed:
- ‘EL‘ ~ We understand EL as simply God, but in reality it is a picture of all God is. He is the beginning of everything. He is the source of creation,strength, and wisdom. He is above all and the center of all things. He is the King of Kings!
- ‘YHVH‘ ~ God’s name is YHVH. Summing up the total of it’s parts we get the following characteristics: Ordinate perfection, a strong closed hand, Divine Breath, Divine Revelation, Divine Light, Behold!,Secured…
- ‘ADONAI‘ ~ God is my Lord and Master. Through faith in the Christ by grace, God redeems us and through His love we are given a hope that exceeds all earthly circumstances. And in that decision, we will be held in the protective comfort of God’s “strong closed hand”… Ordinate Perfection.
- ‘AVI‘ ~ God is my father. Apart from Him there is no understanding…there is no oneness. He is my dwelling place. In Him, I find ordinate perfection.
- ‘MOSHIA‘ ~ God is my Deliverer. He alone is Adonai [Lord], besides Him there is no deliverer. He reveal his truth to us. He secures us in his love. He rescues us from our depravity. He gives us the ability to see, understand, and know Him and His will and way. Ordinate perfection. He covers us in His love. He asks us in turn to: Love God. Love People.
- ‘HAGGO’EL‘ ~ God is my Redeemer. He has purchased us back from our sin. He frees us from condemnation and the captivity of our sin and shame. He transforms us into His children. He restores our relationship with Him. He stands for us and makes us worthwhile.
- ‘ROEH‘ ~ God is my Shepherd. He goes before us. We are revealed and kept secure in His light. He is the means of our protection and salvation. He has surrounded and filled us with His mercy, grace and love.
- ‘KADOSH‘ ~ God is the Holiest One. “More holy than the holiest holiness is the Lord, God Almighty! [Holy! Holy! Holy!] The whole earth is filled with His holiness.” Isaiah 6:3
- ‘IMMANUEL‘ ~ God residing with us. We are encouraged to live just as Immanuel, humbling ourselves in service and submission to Our Lord who Saves Us and Dwells with Us.
Each name of God represents a tiny portion of His majesty. But as I look back, I cannot help but consider, who is God to me? Who is God to you?
- Prince of Peace
- Strong Tower
So, I invite you to take a few moments to share via the comments:
Who is God to you? What meaning has He brought to your life? What attribute of God has overwhelmed you? And, who are you in relation to God?
My hope is that this would be a time of testimony and praise four our community. No comment is too long.