To manage and publish to Devoted Conversations, a variety of tools are used daily. “This Site Uses” shares links to those resources for your own use.
Most of the resources I use are free to all. There are a few however which are not. Next to each resource title, I will indicate whether it is a free or paid resource and in some cases that they are affiliate links, meaning if you decide to purchase a resource from an affiliate, I will make a small commission.
My intent in sharing these is not to get rich. The amount of traffic and affiliate commissions I receive will more than likely not even cover my cost in maintaining this site. Every resource listed is something I regularly use and value.
From time to time, new resources will be added to replace old ones. When that happens, I will be sure to indicate why I decided to make the change.
Hosting & Content Delivery | This Site Uses
New Blog Hosting | Paid Resource ($35 Annually)
New Blog Hosting is a lot smaller outfit than those big box hosting solutions you can readily find online, but they offer a straight forward hosting solution with A++ customer service. With New Blog Hosting, you are not just a $ sign, you are a friend. They go above and beyond to stay on top of issues affecting their clients, and are quick to respond/resolve questions as they occur. They have proven themselves again and again to be customer oriented and concerned with maintaining a stable, effective, and economic hosting solution for bloggers (and more).
keycdn | Paid (Affiliate)
Content Management Software | This Site Uses
WordPress | Free
Since the beginning, I have used WordPress as the content management software for all of my blogging endeavors. Why not?
- It’s a great product.
- It’s used by bloggers and businesses alike.
- It’s actively maintained and developed.
- It has a very active community.
- It has tons of free themes and plugins to customize the function and feel of a site.
- If their is not a free theme or plugin that fits your needs, their is probably a paid one that will.
- And best of all — WordPress IS ABSOLUTELY FREE!
This site uses: WordPress
Themes and Plugins | This Site Uses
Theme | Free (Self-coded)
Over the years, I have used a number of themes from different sources. I grew tired of working around features I did not want or use, so I began coding my own themes, including the current one which is still a work in progress. I have even helped others by coding their themes. One recent example of a minimal theme I coded can be seen at Scribing the Journey. If you are curious about any element or would like to talk about designing your own custom code, drop me an email.
Plugins | Free
Here area few of the free plugins I use and am quick to install/recommend to others. While I use their free plugins, I do what I can to support them via donations and word of mouth.
- iThemes Security – Protect your WordPress site by hiding vital areas of your site, protecting access to important files, preventing brute-force login attempts, detecting attack attempts and more.
- Updraft Plus – Backup and restore: take backups locally, or backup to Amazon S3, Dropbox, Google Drive, Rackspace, (S)FTP, WebDAV & email, on automatic schedules.
- Yoast SEO – The first true all-in-one Search Engine Optimization solution for WordPress, including on-page content analysis, XML sitemaps and much more.
- Yoast Comment Hacks – Make comments management easier by applying some of the simple hacks the Yoast team uses.
- Subscribe to Comments Reloaded – Subscribe to Comments Reloaded is a robust plugin that enables commenters to sign up for e-mail notifications. It includes a full-featured subscription manager that your commenters can use to unsubscribe to certain posts or suspend all notifications.
- Akismet – Used by millions, Akismet is quite possibly the best way in the world to protect your blog from spam. It keeps your site protected even while you sleep.
- Conditional CAPTCHA – A plugin that serves a CAPTCHA to new commenters, or if Akismet thinks their comment is spam. All other commenters never see a CAPTCHA.
- TRUTH – Generates YouVersion links for Biblical scripture references.
Plugins | Paid
Currently, this site uses only two paid plugins:
- Optimus HQ -Lossless compression and optimization of uploaded images in WordPress. Automatic, reliable, effective.
- Social Warfare –AFFILIATE LINK – A plugin to maximize social shares and drive more traffic using the fastest and most intelligent share buttons on the market, calls to action via in-post click-to-tweets, popular posts widgets based on share popularity, link-shortening, Google Analytics and much, much more!
Writing | This Site Uses
Bible Resources | Free
Depending on my purpose and mood, I utilize the following online Bible resources. Each one has a great set of tools and search features including multiple translations, commentaries, lexicons, and dictionaries:
Image Resources | Free
And since we are visually inclined, I use the following as sources for the images you find across the site:
- Pexels.com – Best free stock photos in one place. All photos on Pexels are licensed under the Creative Commons Zero (CC0) license. This means the pictures are completely free to be used for any legal purpose.
- Flickr.com – You have to be careful when using images found on flickr, but their are many great images to be found. I recommend using the search tools to limit results to images that are copyrighted under a creative commons license, and ALWAYS respect the license requirements. They vary by photographer, and using an image incorrectly could result in legal action/fines.
- A few of the images you’ll find were taken either by me or my young budding photographer of a daughter.
Coding | This Site Uses
I’ll add to this section overtime, but I am still a learner when it comes to writing web code, and there are a lot of great resources out there to guide a programmer along the way. The primary languages used in my web development are PHP, JS, CSS3, Sass, and Html5. These languages are evolving along with the internet, and there is always more to learn.